Saturday, November 1, 2014

My weekly weekend short story - 11/1 edition

It was a busy week taking care of last minute Halloween decorations and changes at work. That meant I had very little time to work on Just Another Day at the Office. I'm hoping to finish up the initial reworking and editing this weekend, but with nine chapters left to go, I'm guessing it's going to go a day or two into next week.

As I continue working in Avery's world, I'm reminded why I loved her character so much in the first place. I think the stories are improving as I add details and clean things up. The first book ended up being an extra 15K words and this one looks like I'll add close to that. As I believe I mentioned, this series will be available for free on Smashwords as I go along improving the stories. So, even if you read them on wattpad, there might be some more details that you'll want to know when it comes to the last book, which will hopefully be out sometime in December now because my time has been so occupied as of late.

Anyway, here's what your probably here for, since the title indicates that's what this post is about. This week's challenge was a bit complicated, five-hundred word romance that had two components out of a list of six. I ended up using the fortune cookie and a stolen locket. The other options included a test tube of purple liquid, a pizza delivery person with a penchant for movie quotes, a hungover ghost and a Parisian cafe. The majority of those don't really work well in Nyx's world in a short five-hundred words, so I made due with the ones that I could see showing up.

Gift of Love

It's in the details

“What do you want, Alex?” Nyx asked.

It was bad enough she was saddled with two guys claiming she belonged to them. At least for her own sanity’s sake, she liked the other guy. Alex hadn’t exactly found his way to her heart, though.

“I know you weren’t ready for it when we were pushed together, but the connection between us has been there since we were born. Sebastian’s tie to you should be mild compared to what we have.”

His words only managed to confuse Nyx. “Are you telling me you love me, Alex? Is that the reason for this date night?”

“Maybe this will explain things,” Alex said, sliding a fortune cookie across the table to her.

She looked at it skeptically. “When was the last time you saw me eat carbs? Even before you brought out the wolf in me, I kept a strict diet of meat.”

“Just open it, would you?”

Nyx wasn’t sure why he sounded like she was pushing his buttons. They’d been in each other’s lives long enough that he should’ve been over the frustration she caused most people.

Nyx picked up the cookie and realized it was hard plastic, not baked dough. Whatever it was made of, it was heavier than she expected. She cracked it open, watching as a necklace and piece of paper fell onto the table.

The necklace looked tarnished and had a square locket amongst the links of the chain. Nyx picked it up and studied the oddity. She opened the locket to find a pair of pictures she was semi-familiar with, only because she followed any history that included a woman beating a man in a shooting challenge. Nyx rarely cared about human history, but Annie Oakley was almost a role model.

“I can see you know who they are, which is why I went the extra mile and stole the trinket for you. Sadly, my cash offer wasn’t enough. I knew you’d probably never wear it; I’m not naïve. I just wanted you to know, like the man in that couple, I understand there are things you can do that you’ll always be better than me, and I have no problem being the man behind the woman in those cases.”

“How much have you had to drink?” It was a rhetorical question. Nyx wasn’t really sure how to feel about what he’d said. If she kept a diary, she’d swear he’d been reading it.

“I just want you to know that I’m at the point where I can say I love you, and I know words mean nothing to you, so rather than bring you the head of your worst enemy, which I know is your preferred token of love, I went a bit more traditional.”

Nyx didn’t have words to respond, but she felt a little honored receiving the memento that Alex had procured in her honor. A severed head would’ve been better, but maybe he was keeping that in mind for a future anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment